According to the National Sexual Violence Resource Center
• 1 in 5 women and 1 in 71 men will be raped at some point in their lives.
• In the United Stares 1 in 3 women and 1 in 6 men experienced some form of contact sexual violence in their lifetime.
• 51.1% of female victims of rape reported being raped by an intimate partner and 40.8% by an acquaintance.
• 52.4% of male victims report being raped by an acquaintance and 15.1% by a stranger.
• 49.5% of multiracial women and over 45% of American Indian/Alaska Native women were subjected to some form of contact sexual violence in their lifetime.
• 91% of victims of rape and sexual assault are female, and 9% are male
• In 8 out of 10 cases of rape, the victim knew the perpetrator.
• 8% of rapes occur while the victim is at work.
The problem of sexual violence runs rampant, and yet rape is the most under-reported crime; 63% of sexual assaults are not reported to police. Of the remaining 37% that are reported less than 10% are instances of false reporting. The facts are clear, and still the culture that would rather victims of sexually based crimes remain silent prevails.
Join Rebecca MacCeile as she throws off the shackles of silence and raises her voice. Turquoise Boot Straps: A Survivor’s Thoughts provides a glimpse into her journey of self discovery while tackling many controversial topics at the height of the MeToo era.
Coming to Amazon Kindle and paperback bookshelves April 2019.